Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Buncha Money Grubbin' Good Fer Nuthin' Publicists

Okay, so many of you (well, now all of you) know that Stephenie Meyer is coming to the Dallas area in May for a book signing and to promote her new book The Host. If you know me at all, you know that no amount of words will portray my excitement and therefore I shall not blog about it, but I shall blog about her money grubbin' "people" (you know, like my people will get in touch with your people kinda thing).

In order to get a book signed, you have to follow these 3 *ahem* easy steps.

1) Call the B&N that is hosting the book signing so that you can put your name on a list to reserve her new book.

2) Show up at (or before) 7am on a Tuesday and buy her new book and receive a ticket to the signing.

3) Come back the following Saturday with your ticket and stand in line again and get your book signed.

There are however, a few stipulations that you have to follow:

Only the first 1000 people will be able to get a ticket to the book signing.

She will only personalize her new book and she will only sign 2 other books.

No pictures.

No signing of anything except books.

Can you picture it?

Get away from Stephenie! Don't touch her with your filthy hands and your claims that you love her work! She can't sign that for you! What are thinking? She can't write your name in THAT book! It would take an extra .00000001 of a second and if everyone wanted the same priviledge it would hold up the entire book signing for an extra 2 minutes! You didn't buy her new book? Get out of the line! Get out!

Whatever.

So have I reserved my book? Yes.

Will I play hookey on May 6th? Yes.

Will I play hookey on May 10th? Yes.

Will I get my book signed? You dang well better believe it!

6 comments:

Alison said...

Amen, sista! And, um, I'll be right there with you. :)

Emily Anne said...

Its kind of like the hoops you had to go through at B&N to get Harry Potter. You had to reserve the book, stand in line to get an armband, then come back later to stand in line and get your book. Yes, I did it, but only onnce. If Stephanie Meyer were coming here I would jump through those hoops too. 'sigh' I envy you.

R Matthew Ware said...

That's annoying. Orson Scott Card (author of Ender's Game) said he wouldn't do that to fans. He would sign anything and wouldn't make anyone buy a new book. He said once a bookstore tried to make fans buy new books to get signatures and he told them he'd go out in the parking lot and sign books there, and almost did.

Tamara said...

Well at least you have your standards... ;)

J/K. I sell out to half of the things in the world I love. The other half I probably would sell out to but I'm not even on their collective radar to make me an offer to which I could sell out. Sigh...

Erica said...

Seriously. If there was like some sick fan challlenge where I had to shave my head bald and wear vampire teeth for a week to meet stephanie I might do that too.

She has us addicted. Evil woman.

Melissa said...

Oh, I will be so jelous of you!! Be rebelous and take a picture with your phone or something...live on the edge!! :)