Saturday, April 19, 2008

Apparently...

...I have an allergic reaction to over the counter pain relievers.

A few weeks ago, I had a headache so I took some Ibuprofen. A little while after I took it, I noticed I had this swollen spot on my face right under my glasses. Weird. Then my head started itching. Then after about an hour or so it went away.

Today, I took some Aleve because I had a headache from coughing so much (I don't recommend it, it feels like your eyes are going to pop out of your head). A little while later, I noticed the swollen spot on my face again in the same spot. Then my head started itching.

So it's not a bad reaction (like how I respond to hydrocodone) or anything, but it's just kind of annoying. I guess it's more annoying to have a headache or cramps from H-E-double hockey sticks than to have an itchy head. I'm not overly concerned. I'm only blogging about it because it's pretty much the most exciting thing that has happened to me today. Woo-hoo!

6 comments:

R Matthew Ware said...

Allergic reactions are fun. If I eat certain raw fruits or vegetables (melons are bad, as are bananas, and sometimes green peppers, etc) my mouth starts itching and I get short of breath.

Right before I got married I had the swelling around my eyes every once in a while. I would notice that my eyesight had gone blurry. When I checked in the mirror, there was this swelling right under my eye. Kind of freaked me out, but some benedryl took care of it.

My word verification is eeupy: eeupy is the way your face looks during an allergic reaction.

Emily Anne said...

Dude, the way to fix that is just take some benadryl with you ibuprofen. That's what we do in the hospital for reactions like that. You could also try Tylenol instead. Just sat "yes nurse emily"

Erica said...

Hmmm....maybe it's not OTC pain relievers but additives to OTC pain relievers. I had an itcher this week who only will take the REAL NAME BRANDs of drugs. So expensive!!

If you have red itchy patches on your face you can join the Erica T club though. But you also have to mark easily. The two go together.

And it has to make you want to eat chocolate. Or at least use that annoying reaction as your excuse to eat chocolate.

Then we can be twinkies!

Alison said...

You have SARS.

My word verification was qwbknh which is the sound a person makes when they are irritated and itching.

WhiteEyebrows said...

was it my ibuprofen that made you sick? i forgot to tell you I laced it with marijuana. maybe you had a reaction to that...

my word was hdsjcha: the sound you make before you break a cinderblock with your bare hands.

Rhia Jean said...

Problem solved! I have SARS. It has been confirmed. And apparently Samuel laced his Ibuprofen with the disease. So while I am looking eeupy, I am also qwbknh-ing. And I have miraculously joined the Erica T Club...I didn't know there was such a thing! Next time I'll just skip the pain reliever and just take the Benadryl and pass out. I'll tell them my Nurse Emily told me to. :)