Monday, August 25, 2008

I Have Become What I Swore I Would Never Be

Out of the loop.

I seriously have no idea what is going on in the world. Political, sports, entertainment, you name it, I don't have a clue.

Here are a few examples:

1. I watched about 20 minutes of the Olympics overall and that was because I was with my family eating and they happened to have the Olympics on.

2. I don't know anything about 85% of the movies at the movie theatre. The other 15% I can guess because they are sequels to movies I saw when I was in the loop or they are remakes of old TV shows.

3. Sam, your blog scared me. Quite literally. I clicked on it and saw Nancy Pel...whoever and thought, "Who is that?" and glanced at the beginning and realized it was someone political and immediately hit the back button.

4. I am constantly saying, "No" when friends ask me if I have heard a certain new song on the radio.

5. My friends bring up other people or upcoming events in conversation and I have no idea who or what they are talking about. (It was kind of inevitable that this would happen when I left the single's ward though.)

In my own defense, I do scan the Yahoo and/or MSN stories that pop up when you get to their home page and I am wondering why they are so concerned about what Beijing will do with all of their Olympic junk. Well, what do you think they'll do? They'll do the same thing every other city that has hosted the Olympics did. They'll make name it something Olympic-ish and then make it tourist friendly so people can go there and take pictures and tell everyone how it was so cool that they went to the place where they had the Olympics in 2008. I don't get what the big deal is. Maybe it's because I'm out of the loop. Maybe it's because there really isn't anything else going on in the world and thats all Yahoo and/or MSN has to report on.


Matthew Ware said...

Okay, so I'm sure you've been to Kansas City once or twice. You may or may not be aware that I-435 is a huge interstate system that loops around the metro area. It's one big circle, actually kind of cool. Several other interstates (29, 35, 70) intersect it at some point and can be said to be within the loop.

For the purpose of this comment, let's say you drive on I-35 and pass I-435. For a while you'll be inside the 435 loop. After a while, if you stay on 35, you'll hit 435 again and be outside the loop.

Your life is like driving on 35. For a while you'll be in the loop, then you'll pass and be outside. Then you may come back, enter the loop for a while and get out again.

It's perfectly okay to be outside the loop. You just got stuck doing your life. Keep going and you'll hit the loop again, enjoy its loopiness, and go on with your life again.

Did that make sense? Was it too dorky? Probably.

Amber said...

Yeah, that's me, out of the loop too! Not for everyone, but when we got married - I started being out of the loop on everything but politics.

WhiteEyebrows said...

It sounds like we need to have an intervention.

Alison said...

Sometimes I don't want to be in the loop. From time to time I feel like I know too much useless information.

Emily Anne said...

I am way more in the loop than I want to be. I married a talk radio junkie but didn't know it when I got married. Thus, I know way more than I did when I was single and I'm way more unhappy about the state of the world.

Oh, and the only reason I watched the Olympics is because my life is so pathetic I didn't have anything else to do while Matt was at work and since school has been out for two weeks.

Don't worry. You will get back in the loop again eventually. Hey, maybe you are the loop and the rest of us are just not in your loop. And take advantage of the internet when someone asks if you have heard a new song you haven't heard of. Just go to iTunes or you tube and check it out. Then you will be in the way know!