Sunday, February 3, 2008

Accordian Man

Every once in a while, you go somewhere completely normal and at the same time run into someone who is completely weird. For some people, their "Weirdo Magnet" is by default on high and those are the people that I truly feel sorry for. As for me, it's on medium, so I still think it's funny and interesting when my path crosses the "Truly Odd". Such is the subject for my first blog, Accordian Man...

Friday night after a movie, my friends and I went to Cold Stone Creamery (completely normal). As we were trying to decide on what to get, the guy behind the counter asks us, "Can I help you?", in a voice that all too clearly resembles that of Stitch from Lilo and Stitch. He then proceeded to talk to us in that same Stitch Voice as we got our ice cream and moved on down the line (not normal). I'm pretty sure he gave the other people behind us in line the same wonderful experience.

I'm sure you are asking yourself why this guy...we'll call him Wally because really, he looked like a Wally...why Wally was attracted by my medium strength Weirdo Magnet. Well, because my friends, it doesn't end at the Stitch Voice. As we are enjoying our various frozen treats, Wally comes out of the back with an accordian and starts playing songs to entertain the customers (namely a table of giggly high school girls). When someone asks him how long he had been playing, he says it has only been one semester which means that he is most likely taking a class on accordian playing.

Now who does this? Who talks to strangers in a Stitch Voice and takes accordian classes and then shares their musical talents in order to impress a table of giggly girls at the Cold Stone Creamery on a Friday night?

In their defense, I greatly admire weirdos and this is where they become interesting creatures to me because they have no inhibitions. They really and truly do not care what other people think and are completely happy to just be themselves. So props to you Wally the Accordian Man!

2 comments:

Alison said...

I kept expecting him to say, "Thank you! I'll be here all week." Sigh. Sometimes I just feel embarrassed for people . . . I definitely felt embarrassed for him. Poor thing.

Amber said...

That is so funny. I can hear you laughing as you were exiting. Rhia Jean, Where you Bean??