Thursday, November 18, 2010

Turkeys!

This week I have been reading turkey/Thanksgiving stories to the kids when they come to the library. While reading to first grade, I gave them these paper turkey puppets so they could act out the story as we went along and then after they checked out a book, they could color them with markers (yeah, I know, I'm cool like that). So I tell them they can color their turkey however they want. I say, "If you want your turkey to be pink, color it pink. If you want your turkey to be yellow with blue polka dots, that's fine. You can make whatever kind of turkey your heart desires." Of course this just raises the coolness of the librarian. Nobody ever lets them do whatever they want. Well, one kid (we'll call him Bobby) raises his hand and asks me, "Can I put a hat on my turkey?" "Sure! Do whatever you want!" I shouldn't have said that...

About 5 minutes later, they are all sitting at the tables coloring away and Bobby turns around and tells me, "Look! I made a robber turkey!" "A robber turkey? Woooooooowwwww....", I say as I take a closer look. (I wish, I wish, I WISH I had taken a picture, but I didn't). His turkey is black (not like a African American, but the actual color black), except for his beak. The beak has small line of green and then clouds coming from the green line. It looked like his turkey was smoking weed. I know this is really bad, but I really wanted to laugh. I didn't though. I walked over to his teacher and said, "You need to go look at Bobby's turkey. I think it's smoking weed." She got this funny look on her face and then went over to Bobby and inspected his turkey. Then she took Bobby out in the hall for a few minutes and then came back in and asked if he could have another blank one so he could start over.

So during this Thanksgiving season, I am thankful that I am not a classroom teacher anymore. I just really love my job!

5 comments:

Sonia @ My Sweet Monkey said...

LOL...oh my... you should have taken a picture!!!

Melissa said...

Nice... that is hilarious!! Last year when Brayden was in first grade, he colored a turkey the week of Thanksgiving too, and it had a big red dot right in the middle of it's body with a squiggly line coming from it. When I asked him what it was, he told me the turkey was shot because you have to kill the turkey before you can eat it. Lovely!
But a tweeking turkey is even funnier!! :)

Jen said...

You have the most perfect job ever!!!

Alison said...

Hahahahahaha!!! Did he also call his turkey Snoop Dogg and title the picture The Chronic? :D

Marisa said...

How did you not roll over laughing?? That's hilarious!